A recipe borrowed from my extremely close, personal friend, Jamie Oliver :)
*Due to being a moron and getting burned with hot oil, I feel the need to remind you of what you already know - never put water on burning oil. Whenever cooking with hot oil, always have a fire extinguisher handy or, if your oil should catch fire, cover the pot or pan with a damp cloth, turn the heat off and let the fire go out by itself.
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of beer
2 egg whites whipped
4 250 gram fillets of haddock or cod (I used skinless)
Enough cooking oil (canola, sunflower, etc) for your fish to be at least half submerged
And all you need for my potato wedges
For the tartar sauce, mix together everything in a food processor:
3/4 a cup of mayonaise
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
1 spring onion
2 small pickles
A few sprigs of dill
2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Since the chips take longer to make, I suggest doing them first and only cooking the fish when your potatoes are about 75% done.
- Begin heating the oil while you wash the fish and dap off all the moisture with a paper towel.
- Combine the whipped egg whites, beer and flour and mix well before dipping the fish in the batter and dropping the fillets into the oil.
- You want the oil to be hot enough to brown the batter but not burn it and not cook the fish enough.
- Once the batter is golden and the fish seems cooked inside, take the fish out and let it cool on paper towel.