Am I allowed to say this is the best sandwich in the world? Probably not. Let me clarify, this is my new favourite sandwich. Aside from the fact that is so huge and full of delicious things that it is almost impossible to eat... it is so good. The flavours are so strong. So beware, once you try it, you'll have a hard time not craving it again. Consider yourself warned!
Photo by Alvaro Chocano De Rossi
- Slices of zucchini (courgette)
- Slices of red and or yellow bell pepper
- Slices of eggplant (aubergine)
- Sliced tomato
- 1 tablespoon of pesto
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh bread
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic
- Slice the zucchini, bell pepper and eggplant
- In a ziplock bag, mix olive oil, balsamic, crushed garlic, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper (this will be your marinade)
- Toss your sliced veggies into the bag and leave them to marinate in the fridge (the longer the better)
- In a grill pan, roast the vegetables until they are cooked and develop charred lines
- On the bread, spread the pesto evenly on one half and a small amount of mayo on the other
- Lay the mozzarella, sliced tomato and vegetables on the bread and put the sandwich together
- In a grill or pan, toast your sandwich
- Enjoy :)
Suggestions: This sandwich also tastes amazing with sundried tomatoes, creamy goats cheese instead of mayo and even feta.
Aaand just to make you even more happy...