Yes, homemade pasta can be time consuming, but it is worth it! AND you really don't need a pasta maker or even a rolling pin ;)
You will need:
2 and a half cups of flour
A pinch of salt
- In a bowl, place the flour and salt combined
- Make an indent in the centre for the eggs and slowly mix them into the flour
- Knead the dough well for about 10 minutes, you will begin to see the colour changing
- If you are using a pasta maker: separate the dough into fist sized portions. Start the knob at the widest setting and continually put the dough through, folding it each time until your dough is extremely smooth. Then slowly decrease the width until you are happy with the thickness of your sheet.
- If you do not have a pasta maker, use a rolling pin, long glass or even a paper towel roll (getting creative here) with flour dusted on it. Continually roll the fist sized sections of dough until it is as thin as you want it.
- In a pasta maker, add the utensil for whatever shape pasta you want. To avoid the pieces sticking, sprinkle them with flour.
- Without a pasta maker, slice the dough in equal lengths and voila, fettuccine or tagliatelle.
- Cook for about 4 minutes