A delicious recipe from my dear friend and brother's wonderful girlfriend, Theadora Mills
You will need:
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur (you can replace with vanilla or almond extract if preferred)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of water
- ½ cup whole almonds (Blanched)
- ½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To blanche the almonds: boil 2 cups water in small sauce pot, add whole almonds, let boil for 1 minute, drain and set aside.
- Place egg in a bowl, whisk for a minute or more. Add brown sugar and whisk until mix becomes creamy and fluffy. Add Amaretto liqueur and whisk. Add salt, baking soda and cinnamon and whisk some more.
- Incorporate flour and water alternatively and mix with a large spoon. Mix will be somewhat dry and will get hard to mix. Add the almonds and cranberries. Place some flour on hands and work the dough together to form a loaf approximately 2-3cm high, 6-8 cm wide, and 20 cm long.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins.
- Take out and let cool for 15 mins. Place on a cutting board and with a serrated knife, cut on the diagonal, about 1cm pieces. Place on sheet on cut side down. Turn down oven to 325 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes, turning once.
- One loaf yields about a dozen biscotti. When cooled, store in an airtight container.