Wednesday 17 October 2012

Lentil Kale Soup with Moroccan Spices

On his recent trip to Morocco, my uncle was kind enough to bring me ras el hanout - a traditional blend of Moroccan spices. I hope to use it for some delicious tajine (soon to come!)


I didn't use vegetable stock because I was out, but I actually felt that I didn't need it in the end.

You will need:
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1/2  cup of lentils 
  • 1 potato (optional)
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • 1 small cloves of garlic
  • 4 large kale leaves
  • A pinch of cumin
  • A pinch of paprika
  • 1-2 teaspoons of ras el hanout 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
The simplicity of this recipe is wonderful.
  1. Peel the carrot and potato, chop them finely along with the celery and onion
  2. Crush the garlic
  3. Wash and slice the kale
  4. In a pot, combine all your ingredients along with seasonings on a medium high heat - stirring occasionally until the lentils are soft. As it cooks, cover it and let the spices sink in. 
  5. With a hand mixer, I blended part of the soup to give it a thicker base, but that is up to you :)

No comments :

Post a Comment